Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Fashion in Film: Singin' in the Rain

Singin' in the Rain is my favorite movie in the world! I could watch it over and over and it would never get old. If you haven't seen it already, go out and buy it! Right now! You will love it! 
One of the reasons I love it so much is the clothes. All of the outfits in this movie are just amazing, for both girls and guys. I have fallen in love with Kathy's blue stripe dress, and who can resist Cosmo and Don's adorable sweaters?

I LOVE Cyd Charisse's gorgeous green dress!



The costumes were by Walter Plunkett (1902-1982).  He also did the costumes for Gone With the Wind and An American in Paris (pretty awesome!).


The style for women in the 1920s was all about having a boxy, boyish shape. They were breaking free from the age of corsets, tiny waists, and feminine features. 


The 20s-40s really inspire me. I actually wore a black flapper dress to a dance last year :) It was awesome. I fell in love with a 20s-esque hat over the summer and I can't wait to pair it with some outfits!
I'm going to start posting Fashion in Film pieces every once in a while. I've already got several other movies in mind! 

So, what do you think of Singin' in the Rain? What's your favorite movie?



(Not my photos! I found them through Weheartit and Google.)

4 comments:

blorange dice said...

ohhh my gosh, seriously this movie is so good! a lot of people our age just don't know haha. my favorite movies are largely based on dysfunctional families (the family stone, dan in real life, the royal tenenbaums, etc.)

Jazzy E (hivennn) said...

beautiful. x hivennn p.s enter my double vintage camera giveaway?

Maria E. said...

That movie is so one of my favorites! Gene Kelly is amazing, the choreography is fantastic, the music is awesome...and it's all just wonderful. :) My personal favorite movie is probably something Jane Austen-y (or Lord of the Rings, LOVE those!).

-- Maria E.
www.uneasyimpressions.blogspot.com

erin :) said...

Love this movie; really any movie from the 50s! And I totally agree, the color and everything about those films are so beautiful. Thanks for sharing! And for visiting my blog! Phoenix is one of my favs. :)

Lovely blog! Nice to "meet" you! :)

01 09 10