Wednesday, June 25, 2014

To the Ballet








My little photo bomber!

I went to the International Ballet Competition with my boyfriend and his family last night. There were so many beautiful traditional and contemporary performances from dancers from all around the world!

One thing I noticed during intermissions, though, was how some young girls were dressing. There were middle school aged girls in short, tight, low cut, ill-fitting dresses, trying to totter around on heels that were too high. My parents, let alone myself, would never have let me out of the house like that! Since it was at that age that I became interested in fashion, I have strong opinions on the matter, I guess. 

Girls need to be taught that dressing immodestly does not equal attractiveness. That doesn't mean you have to stay covered up constantly or shy away from "sexy" looks or deny your good features. It just means that you can wear something tasteful and beautiful, carry yourself into a room like you're a million bucks, and get noticed for that, not for how much leg or cleavage you're awkwardly showing. The way you wear something, the way you carry yourself, is so important, and it makes me sad to see girls lacking that knowledge and confidence.

I guess that's my rant for the day...how do you guys feel about it?

This isn't the most ballerina-inspired of looks, but I enjoyed wearing this Target dress with some edgy shoes (which I stole from my mom). Seriously, Target has the best low-budget clothes. This dress was probably around $20, and it has a unique shape and design that seems like it should have been more expensive. I love it!

I'm headed to work today, and at the end of this week, I'll be finished with my summer class! Huzzah! Maybe after that I can blog about some outfits that do NOT include jeans and sweaters...

7 comments:

Liz said...

I love this dress. I'm a fan of Target dresses as well.

I hate seeing young girls dresses the way you described in the blog. I always think the same thing. "My mom would have never let me go out like that." Ridiculous.

http://www.lookfortheoccasion.com

Justine Prabucki said...

I totally agree girls these days (here I am sounding old already) just dont seem to want to act their age. Which is sad because I know it sounds corny but you should appreciate just being young when you are young, not wanting to grow up quickly. I think its sad when girls so young parade around in clothes I wouldn't even be caught wearing because its just too scandalous. I agree being sexy doesn't automatically mean revealing. Ok rant over, I must say I love that dress! Target is marvelous because their clothes can be so interesting and reasonabley priced no one would ever know its from target! http://theredlipchronicles.blogspot.com

Jamie Rose D. said...

Middle school girls never really dress well so I always figure 75% of them will dress better in the future. Most will figure out they look better in something less revealing. I roll my eyes and ignore since they're just dumb kids! haha

Anyway, I really love your dress here. I enjoy the racerback shape on the back and the print is really pretty too!

PetitePanoply.com

Jamie said...

That is the cutest dress!! :)

I enjoy your rants; you have a lot of great things to say! :)

~Jamie

Lenya said...

Love the chic feminine yet casual look on you. Gorgeous sandals. You have a lovely blog here. Would you like to follow each other on GFC? Please let me know on my blog so I can follow back. Thank you.
xox
Lenya
FashionDreams&Lifestyle

Harlow Darling said...

I absolutely agree with you, it also really freaks me out when I go to the beach and see little girls wearing bikinis, definitely not age appropriate!
Love your blog, you are so gorgeous :)

Rebecca Coates said...

I am so in agreement with the way young girls dress. It's awful! I couldn't even imagine being a parent and thinking that's okay!

I do love your dress - you are such a beauty! Also, my dog looks a lot like yours :D He's so cute!

Becca xo
She & Her Vintage

01 09 10