Thursday, July 17, 2014

Quirky




 




All my mom and I could think of while we shot this outfit was this video - "Bein' Quirky with Zooey Deschanel" from SNL. You'll have to watch it to know why we kept quoting it so much! It's hilarious.

With that being said, though, this outfit and the video make me think of the whole issue of stereotypes and labeling people as "quirky" or "hipster" or whatever. Take Zooey Deschanel for example. She is an actress I admire for many reasons. Some people don't like her because they think she seems fake, too girly, or too quirky. I feel differently...in this video, Zooey says that she doesn't see herself as being quirky. She just likes what she likes and knows what looks good on her. People judge her physical image and label her, but her image isn't dependent on scandal and vulgarity, like many others - would that really be a better alternative to being "too girly"? 

Excuse the random Star Wars reference, but I'm gonna bring out a quote that I love from Qui-Gon Jinn, that famous Jedi Master. In Episode I, Anakin gets into a fight with a friend who unjustly calls him a cheat. Qui-Gon stops the fight and simply tells Anakin, "You know the truth." 

What I'm trying to say is, when people on the street see me in this outfit, I'm probably immediately tossed into a box labeled Quirky/Hipster. But so what? I won't let that stop me from dressing the way I like. People can form their own opinions of me, but I know I'm a diverse person. I know who I am. I know the truth. And the truth is, this outfit makes me happy. I like the colors, I like the shape, and I had fun playing around outside with an umbrella, because why not? 

What do you guys think - about any part of this post? I'm always open for any opinions or discussions y'all want to have!

And just for fun, I'll leave you with a New Girl meme that I think sums me up pretty well :)


4 comments:

Jamie said...

This whole post is beautiful.

~Jamie

Kezzie said...

I just think it is pretty, not quirky. I though she was labelled as quirky because of her personality and tv characters.
Turquoise is my favourite colour, I love it! X

Teryn said...

Yay New Girl references and yay to Star Wars!! Yay to you being absolutely adorable and your wonderful use of hipster glasses and bubble umbrellas! Just yay!

http://www.diariesofarucksack.com/

Rebekah Bradford said...

That last photo is fantastic! And Star Wars and New Girl quotes in the same post--yes.

01 09 10